G'day mate, I'm born and bred Aussie but I just love travelling the old globe. I'm currently backpacking around the world on my 4th big crazy adventure and am updating this blog as I go. Come join me on my travels and have a laugh at the same time. After this trip I will be writing a travel book of all my adventures so keep your eyes out for it!!!! Cheers mate!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Dubai the city of the future

G’day all,
How would I wrap Dubai up in two words? Bloody Amazing. Well I’ve just spent a few sensational days in Dubai, the super city of the future. What more can I say than mind blowing, super-modern, space aged, fast, perfect, and perhaps even fake. My first impressions of Dubai were a little different to this as I was caught in traffic jams, surrounded by poor Indian and Pakistani slaved and underpaid laborers, and stuck in a backpacker hostel that nobody had heard of miles out of the city centre. After introducing myself to the first westerners I saw at the hostel I found myself within an hour drinking pints at an Irish Pub for the 4th straight night. The next day me and my new mates Andre and Simon headed to “Wild Wadi Waterpark” right next to the famous sail shaped 7 star hotel the Burj al-Arab. It cost an arm and a leg to get in but once you walk through the gates and see this massive artificial wave with a huge pipeline screaming out ‘surf me’ you can understand why. Growing up in the surf, I couldn’t wait to give it a go and I got so excited that I didn’t jump on the wave properly and got sucked backwards off the back of the wave (as in the video) and it was highly embarrassing. What made it even more embarrassing was the fact the Jamaican surf instructor heard my Aussie accent and built me up as a professional surfer. After my embarrassing moment there we then tried out the many slides we had to choose from. Thinking we were going to be climbing steps all day I was amazed to find out we were jet propelled in uphill slides in rubber tubes and didn’t have to do a thing to get to the top of the hill. One of the slides goes down in complete darkness and another one shoots you down the hill at 80km an hour from a terrifying height which makes you feel very close to getting airborne and hitting the car park with a splat. We had an awesome day at the water park and got there first thing in the morning and were the last to leave when the park closed. We got very sun burnt too but had a ball. On my final day in Dubai I decided I better actually do some site seeing so I did a jump on jump off double-decker bus tour which was really the only way to see Dubai. This is when I really gained my respect for what has become of Dubai and what it will become in 10 years time. Dubai was nothing but a sand desert 60 years ago before it became a tiny fishing and boat making village until 30 years ago when they discovered oil and now it’s the fastest growing city in the world. The old part of the town is nothing but a dingy, old, dirty, traffic jammed, cluttered mess but the new part of town feels like you’re in the 2100. The architecture seems alien-like, the malls look like a set from a movie, the cars are worth more than houses, all the bus stops have air-con, the beaches are perfect, and everything seems to have a different theme. They are building the fastest, tallest, and grandest, of everything in the hope to make this the number 1 tourist destination in the world in years to come. Only 20% of the people in Dubai are actual Arabians and they don’t seem to do any of the dirty work except for driving down to the ATM to pull out wads of cash to go shopping for their 4 wives in their brand new Ferraris. As you drive down the roads all you see are sweaty, hot, predominately Indian foreigners building these skyscrapers everywhere you look. Meanwhile the government gives local Arabian couples a huge beach front mansion for free as a wedding gift with a nice wide driveway for their collection of Lamborghinis. The city is starting to look like Manhattan and it’s only just begun. Only a few of the building have actually been complete whilst if you look around you will see a horizon of cranes and construction sights as far as the eye can see. Even more impressive than the buildings I found were the malls. Each mall has a different theme and these things would give Paris Hilton cardiac arrest they offer so much choice and quality. One mall in particular really impressed me as I’ve never seen something so perfect in my life it was pure stunning. All the buildings were made of sandstone and were styled like something from Santa Fe. They were surrounded by canals with crystal green water and bridges with gondolas like Venice but right in the near distance was the Burj al-Arab poking out over the clear blue sky. On the waters edge were a sting of cafes and restaurants and all the customers looked like movie stars. As you can probably tell I was pretty impressed. One other thing I’ve noticed about Dubai is there is no homeless people and no unemployment and if anything there is a lack of people to be employed. Anyway that’s a wrap up of my time in Dubai. Next update is from Doha in Qatar. Enjoy the pics and videos and leave us a comment.


Woodsy



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

paulwood.blogspot.com
Me and Shane Mac are leaving Galway in early April and spending a few weeks in Katie's place in Alicante. yew.

February 23, 2008 5:38 am

 
Blogger Paul Wood said...

hey seany boy
really so what is your plan after that? are you heading back to galway or what?? it feel so good to be in heat again finally. the middle east is sick man i went 4wd today out to the saudi boarder in qatar and nearly flipped it heading down vertical dunes...wicked. also went tennis last night and watched sharapova and venus williams play for free
yewwwwww

February 23, 2008 5:54 am

 
Blogger Paul Wood said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 23, 2008 5:54 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude, It's Glock here been awhile but I'm finally catching up with your blogs! I'm living in Bangkok now hey! haha. Would be good to see you if you come back this way on your way back to Oz! Just a comment on your Dubai insights...the only thing stopping them being a major tourist destination as they hope for is they're radically draconian drugs policy! People get thrown in jail on arrival for prescription medicine for crying out loud! Or a .0000mg speck of illegal drugs that may have lodged on their baggage through other people will get them jailtime! It's atrocious and will hold them back from many of the most profitable travellers, ie young people with disposable incomes on holidays! Sounds cool but! Lol! I liked that mega palace you talked of...nothing by halves there!

April 23, 2008 12:20 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow it is really great to see such beauty of green in Dubai,now i can say Dubai is going to be a complete holiday destination.Looking for a holiday or short term rental apartments in dubai?

October 05, 2010 6:50 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing bunch of information.I love to hang out I love to spend my holidays in Dubai that was my most memorable Holidays I can't forget them.

March 04, 2011 12:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home